Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Sunday, January 08, 2012

Introducing

DESIGN TEAM MEMBER – JULIE BLAKEMAN
julieb copy - Copy
Julie is a valued member of our Design team and has her own style and a wonderful imagination. Having known Julie for quite a while now I know that she doesn’t like having her photo taken (so thank you for sharing this one with usSmileand that she is a perfectionist with a wonderfully creative mind and endless talent for making great cards. She is also a wizard on the Cricut machine and can cut out things I haven’t even thought of.
We asked her a few questions so you could get to know her better.
1. What is your favourite tool?
My favourite tool is definitely my Fiskars trimmer, I’ve tried numerous other trimmers but none match it. It’s so easy to change between the blade and scorer, I just wish I didn’t go through so many blades.
2. What is your favourite technique?
I don’t think I have a favourite technique, I have a least favourite, I can’t stand heat embossing though to be honest I think it’s my dodgy heat gun that makes me not like it.
3. What colours do you like using most?
I tend to go for pink and purple shades, I love spotty papers and bold funky flower papers, they really draw my eye. I tend to favour the stronger shades than pastels though.
4. Name your favourite embellishment?
My favourite embellishments are buttons, I love them, love their colours, love sorting them, love the feel of them, love grouping them together to see what look good together...... You can never have too many, though I do sometimes find it hard to part with them. I also like Prima flowers, with huge button centres. Looking back through my blog though, the embellishments I tend to use the most are gems, they are so easy to colour so they match a colour scheme and that means of course I get to keep my beloved buttons lol!
5. Do you ever buy a card and why?
The only cards I ever buy are Christmas cards. In the past I used to try to make them all but I got myself so stressed. I decided a couple of years ago that I’d buy a few as stand bys, I must admit though that I’d rather send a home made New year card than give a shop bought Christmas card. I did actually buy a pop up card the other day though but that was just because I wanted to see how the folds went so that I could try them out in my own design.
6. What occasion do you not like making cards for?
I don’t like making Sympathy cards, but don’t like to send them either, I prefer to give flowers at such times.
7. What occasion is your favourite for making cards?
I like to make cards for any other occasion.
8. Tell us three things about yourself
Three things about myself, let me think In 2011 I became the luckiest crafter ever when my husband had a craft cabin built in our back garden. When I was younger I used to knit socks for my Barbie doll. (other makes of dolls are also available lol!) I really dislike having my photo taken, I’m the most unphotogenic person you could ever meet.
9. What do you predict will be popular (name a technique or style) in 2012 in the card making world?
I think cards are going to be less fussy in 2012, there does seem to be a trend for CAS (Clean and Simple) cards beginning , suits me fine as I just can’t seem to do the major embellishment cards that have been popular, I love other people’s creations but when I try they end up looking a mess.
10. What card size do you use most and why?
I seem to make a lot of 13.5cm square cards, mainly as it’s easy to grab a pre scored card from the drawer. I do also like making tiny cards using my Nestability dies, I’m considering buying a larger size die cutting machine but I’m not sure which one to go for, any advice on the best one to go for would be gratefully received.
We asked Julie to send 3 or four of her favourite cards from 2011 to share with you.
julieb4
julieb2
julieb1
julieb3
You can see more of Julies work on her blog Rainbow Days.
Thank you for sharing Julie. We look forward to seeing all of your lovely work in 2012. xx